Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Lemieux attempting unprecedented comeback

By Pat Martin, Hockey Editor

Worcester, MA (Sports Network) - Claude Lemieux, a veteran of 20 NHL seasons with five different teams, began feeling a tug early this year.

The tug came from the heart of a player who posted 379 goals, 406 assists and 1,756 penalty minutes in 1,197 career NHL games between 1983 and 2003.

The tug came from the heart of a player that helped three of his former teams win a total of four Stanley Cup while scoring 80 playoff goals - which ranks ninth all-time in NHL history.

Now, at 43-years-old and five years removed from his last NHL game, Lemieux is giving in to that tug and attempting an unprecedented comeback.

"I think the main reason [for the comeback attempt] is I miss playing the game and I miss being involved with hockey and being around hockey and hockey players," Lemieux told SportsNetwork.com in an exclusive phone interview. "Everything I've done my whole life has been around a hockey rink so I felt that I could still play, and that's why I decided to try to get back in shape and come back."

The comeback attempt began in June when Lemieux started hitting the weight room, and intensified in the following few months when he hired a personal trainer.

"In August I started training on the ice as well [as spending significant time in the gym] so I put in more time and more work than I ever did in my previous years playing," Lemieux said. "So it has been a different approach but it has really paid off. I'm in great shape and I feel a big difference on the ice. Although I'm older, I feel my conditioning is far superior to what it ever was."

The comeback hit the next stage when Lemieux signed an American Hockey League contract with the Worcester Sharks late last month. He played his first professional hockey game since 2003 on Nov. 28 at the Providence Bruins, registering two assists in a loss. Since then, Lemieux has played five more games in the AHL, registering two goals, including the game-winner vs. the Portland Pirates on Sunday afternoon.

"It's a tough grind," Lemieux said of the AHL schedule. "I felt really good. I played all three games last weekend and [three] more since then. I've had five in eight days and my body is holding up great and doing well, knock on wood. Everything is good, I can't ask for more."

MORE OF THE SAME?

When questioned as to what he thinks he can bring to the post-lockout NHL, the 6-foot-0, 215-pound Lemieux said he could bring the same physical edge that made him one of the premier agitators and power forwards in the NHL in his prime.

"I think it's still a very physical game," he said. "You look at the top guys in hockey, whether it's [Sidney] Crosby, [Alex] Ovechkin, or [Evgeni] Malkin and the guys at the top of the scoring [race], they are all pretty physical players. There's a lot of work and battles in the corners.

"There's more skating [in the new NHL] but as a player, anybody who's played the game knows that the toughest part was to battle in the corners and try to get away from defensemen with the interference and the holding and the grabbing [in the pre-lockout NHL]. Now it's lot more skating. There's probably less stop-and-starts than we had in the old days. It's a different game."

How has Lemieux's game translated to the new style at the AHL level thus far in his comeback?

"I'm playing in the American League where all the future stars will play or are playing," he said. "There are a lot of great young players and they're big and strong and fast and I fit right in. I don't feel slow, and I don't feel any different than I did when I played in the NHL."

FAMILY MATTERS

Lemieux, who is married with two children with his current wife, Deborah, as well as two older boys from a previous marriage, says he has the support of his family back in Phoenix.

"That is probably the toughest part," Lemiuex said. "We are obviously apart right now but it was a decision we all agreed [upon] and my family is very supportive of my decision. It's been nice that I can be 43, wanting to do something that means a lot to me, and that it means that much to them and that my wife and kids are so supportive."

While his family is supportive now, Lemieux admitted that Deborah was a little taken aback when she realized he was serious about the comeback.

"She was surprised at first. She thought I just wanted to lose some weight and get back in shape and was just looking for motivation so she just kind of went along at first not thinking I was that serious. Then when she saw me in the gym three hours a day she realized there was more to it. Then we sat down and talked about how realistic it could be or would be, and what kind of timeline and what I had in mind and everything else."

GETTING THERE

Lemiuex is satisfied with where his game is at right now, although he admits he still has a way to go before he is back to his top level.

"Ideally I'd like to say I'm at the top of my game and I feel like I'm in my prime and that would be a nine, you never want to give yourself a 10," he said. "Maybe I'm at a six or in that ballpark so obviously the best is yet to come from me.

"I'm not just rating myself on goals and points. I'm looking at when I'm on the ice what my line is doing and how we're dominating or creating chances, and how's my physical contribution and my positioning and these kinds of things. I feel really good about [my overall game]. There's also the chemistry with linemates and the style of play and the bit of difference between the AHL and NHL. Some players fit better at the American League level and some are just marginal or average at the AHL level and just happen to fit in better at the NHL level."

WHAT'S NEXT

Lemieux has been in contact with a number of NHL teams, but would prefer not to name them because of the potential distraction it could cause. For now he is content to play in the AHL and work on his game in an attempt to latch on with a team at the NHL level.

"I'm a free agent as far as anybody who wants to pick me up in the NHL," he said. "But as far as the AHL, I'm signed for the year so I could be here for as little or as long as I need to be.

"... I'm just here to play and anyone that may be interested knows where to find me, where to send their scouts. I think they have a pretty good idea of what to expect by now and they'll see more in the near future."

No comments: